By: Marisa Leigh, C’est Beau’s Event Coordinator
I’m not one to believe in superstitions, but on event days – I will not allow myself to look at the weather.
A couple years back, I was coordinating an event in Florida, OL and allowed myself to take a peek at what the weather would look like on the event date.
I thought, “You’re being silly – you won’t jinx the weather and last week’s outdoor event was great!”
So, I peeked.
ALL SUN was the forecast, not a cloud in the sky. I took a sign in relief.
However, come event day – dark clouds, and by 9am it was pouring rain.
Our gorgeous outdoor event was now forced to move inside.
We had to rearrange entertainment, food stations and seating into a smaller indoor banquet hall.
Not ideal, but this event has taught me (and will hopefully teach you) to ALWAYS prep a plan B for outdoor events.
HERE ARE FIVE SIMPLE TASKS I MAKE SURE TO INCORPORATE INTO MY CHECKLIST WHEN PLANNING OUTDOOR WEDDINGS & EVENTS:
- COORDINATE WITH THE VENUE TO ENSURE A PLAN B VENUE BEFORE SIGNING. Make sure a secondary venue is written into the contract. If you’re in an outdoor field space or backyard, discuss options with your client to have a secondary location close by (if not on the same site) on hold.
- Create a floor plan to make sure all tables, chairs, entertainment, and dance floor fit comfortably for the secondary location as well. Coordinate as if you are planning the same event at both locations.
- Do not make any last-minute decisions! Ensure you give yourself, the vendors, and attendees an ample amount of time to set up at the secondary location, you do not want any small detail to be missed.
- DON’T PANIC! Remember: “SLOW is SMOOTH and SMOOTH is FAST” and double-check those checklists!
- This one’s for me: Don’t Look at the Weather Forecast!